Sunset from Portland over Lyme Bay
At Portland Cottages we like to be optimistic and being one of the best (we think the best!) holiday destinations in the South West UK visitors are naturally worried about the weather. Our national pastime is talking about it and it seems to influence everything we plan and do. Now living here on Portland we would say that it’s beautiful whatever the weather but we do understand that if you’re coming for just a week or two you would really like some sunshine. So holding on to our optimism we looked at the long range weather forecast for August and September for Portland.
So, what did we find? Well, our optimism payed off and the outlook overall is very good with long periods of sunshine throughout August and sunshine and temperature holding through into September. Allowing for natural seasonal differences the September weather looks to be great!
If you are visiting Portland or Weymouth during August and September what is there to do?
Some highlights of events in Weymouth & Portland for August and September include,
- Classic, custom and modern motorbikes on show at the Weymouth town clock every Thursday evening until the end of September.
- August 6-12 National Laser Sailing Championships, Portland Harbour
- August 16 & 17 Weymouth Carnival. Now a 2 day event!
- August 21 Round the Rock 10K Run, Run round the Isle of Portland!
- August 27-30 International Moth Sailing Championships, Portland Harbour.
- August 28-29 Quayside Music Festival, Weymouth Harbour
- August 28 Dragon Boat Racing
- September 3 & 4 Waterfest – Celebrating Weymouth’s maritime heritage and history, Weymouth Harbour
- September 10-18 B Side Festival – Portland’s multimedia arts festival
- September 11 Ironman Weymouth – Iron distance national triathlon
Full details of events in 2016 are available in a pdf download as part of our Maps & Guides available below, (you can also order our free print brochure).
Portland Cottages has some vacancies left for our holiday cottages on Portland in September. Take a look at our video, choose a cottage, check availability and book online.
Weather reference: www.accuweather.com Portland